History of district:
In 1741, the Marathas invaded Tiruchirappalli and took Chanda Saheb as captive. Chanda Saheb succeeded in securing freedom in 1748 and soon got involved in the famous war for the Nawabs place in the Carnatic against Anwardeen, the Nawab of Arcot and his son Mohammed Ali.
Mohamed Ali annexed the two palayams of Ariyalur and Udayarpalayam located within the present Ariyalur District on the grounds of default in payment of Tributes and failure to assist him in quelling the rebellion of Yusuf Khan. In November 1764, Mohamed Ali represented the issue to Madras Council and obtained military assistance on 3rd January 1765. The forces led by Umdat-Ul-Umara and Donald Campbell entered Ariyalur and captured it. The young Poligar together with his followers, there upon fled to Udayarpalayam. On the 19th of January, the army marched upon Udayarpalayam. The Poligar's troops were defeated and the palayams were occupied. The two poligars fled their town and took refuge in Tharangampadi, then a Danish Settlement. The annexation of the palayam gave the Navab un-interrupted possession of all his territories extending Arcot to Tiruchirappalli.
The history followed was a power struggle between Hyder Ali and later Thippu Sultan with the British. After the death of Thippu Sultan, the British took the civil and military Administration of the Carnatic in 1801. Thus Tiruchirappalli came in to the hands of the English and the District was formed in 1801. In 1995 Tiruchirappalli was trifurcated and the new Perambalur and Karur districts were formed.
Composite Perambalur District came in to existence after trifurcation of Tiruchirappalli district with effect from 30.09.1995 as per G.O MS.No 913 Revenue / Y3 dated 30.09.1995. In the Government Orders G.O (Ms)No. 656, Revenue, Dated. 29.12.2000 and G.O (Ms)No. 657, Revenue, Dated. 29.12.2000 , the Government ordered Perambalur District to be bifurcated into two Districts , Perambalur District with headquarters at Perambalur and Ariyalur District with headquarters at Ariyalur. Subsequently, in the Government orders G.O (Ms)No. 167, Revenue, Dated. 19.4.2002, and G.O (Ms)No. 168, Revenue, Dated. 19.4.2002 , Government ordered that the above two districts be merged into one as Perambalur District with headquarters at Perambalur.
In the Government Order G.O (Ms) NO. 683 Dated. 19.11.2007 Government passed orders that Perambalur District be reorganised and bifurcated again into two districts Perambalur and Ariyalur, out of which Perambalur district with Headquarters at Perambalur consists of one Revenue Division of Perambalur and three Taluks of Perambalur, Kunnam and Veppanthattai. It is bounded on the North by Cuddalore and Salem Districts, South by Tiruchirappalli, East by Ariyalur District, West by Tiruchirappalli and Salem Districts.
Main occupation of the district:
Perambalur district is the top maize and Onion (small) producer in Tamil Nadu, with 27% and 50% of the state's share respectively.
Perambalur is planning to set up multi-product SEZ over an area of 5000 acres (20 km²) specializing in high-technology by SREI Infrastructure Finance Ltd through a Joint Venture with TIDCO (Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation). The SEZ will have linkages to Cuddalore, Pondicherry and Chennai ports, railway line and Tiruchirapalli Airport. This SEZ will bring in high-technology industries, MROs, biotechnology, pharmaceutical companies, textile & leather clusters. The project is being developed with world-class infrastructure to be able to compete with the best investment centres in the world. Perambalur SEZ has a large hinterland that offers huge labour force. The SEZ is well connected with all major cities/regions of the country with excellent road/rail network. The SEZ will focus on testing & certification facilities, warehouses, and infrastructure on demand etc. In addition, residential & recreational complexes are planned within the SEZ.
Perambalur is well connected by Road. Perambalur is the major junction where NH-45 (Chennai-Trichy) and NH-226 meets. Perambalur has the outer ring road which connets NH-45, NH-226 and SH-157.Railway network is planned by government which will mainly connect perambalur with rest of the state/country. Government and private transport buses are available to connect rest of the state. Perambalur has two Bus Stands. Old bus stand handles the intra-town transport which includes buses and three wheelers. New bus stand handles State Express Transport (SETC) and Inter-District Transport (TNSTC) buses.
Ranjankudi Fort: Ranjankudi Fort is a 17th-century fortress located about 22 km (14mi) north of the town of Perambalur ,Tamil Nadu India. The fort is located 22 km (14&mi) north of Perambalur NH 45 in the South Indian state of Tamil Nadu . It is located 253 km (157mi) away from the state capital Chennai and 70 km (43 mi) from Trichy .The fort was constructed by feudatory Nawab of the Carnatic.
Ranjakudi fort was the focus point during the Battle of Valikondah during 1751, when the British troops supported by Mohammed Ali won over the French supported by Chanda Sahib. The fort is oblong in shape with semicircular bastions, a moat encircling it and three fortifications at different levels, built with cut stone blocks. The fort has a palace, residence buildings, underground chamber and an underground passage that links Pettai (the top level) with Kottai Medu (lower level). The fort, in modern times, is maintained and administered by the Archaeological Survey of India.The fort is one of the prominent tourist destinations in Perambalur.
National Fossil Wood Park, Sattanur: Geological study shows that more than 120,000,000 years ago, the sea (which lies today about 100 Km. East of Sathanur) had transgressed as far as 8 to 10 Km West of Sathanur. During this period which is Geologically known as the cretaceous, the sea abounded in a variety of marine animals similar to those found in the present day sea. These animals, after death, sank to the bottom and were buried by sands and clays brought down by the rivers. Along with them some of the trees which flourished on the seacoast or near shore were also buried after transport by flooded streams and were petrified in course of time. The large trunk of petrified tree, which can be seen here, lies within the Trichinopoly group of rocks of about 100,000,000 years ago. This tree shows the presence of Conifers (The non flowering plants) that dominated the land vegetation prior to the advent of Angiosperms ( the flowering plants of the present of day.)
The petrified tree trunk at Sathanur measures over 18 meters in length. Similar fossil trees measuring a few meters in length are found along the stream sections near Varagur, Anaipadi, Alundalipur and Saradamangalam. Dr.M.S.Krishnan of the Geological Survey of India first reported this fossil tree in 1940.
Mathura Kaliamman Temple: The Mathura Kaliamman Temple is a Hindu temple dedicated to the goddess Kali located in the village of Siruvachur ,Perambalur taluk ,Perambalur District, India. Siruvachur is located at a distance of 5 km from Perambalur, its nearest town. The Car festival ,Panguni festivals are important festivals celebrated.
Sri Bala Thandayuthapani Swami Temple: The Ancient Thandayutha Pani Swami Temples is situated in Chettikulam Village, Perambalur District. The above temple is built by King Kulasekara Pandian, some 500 years ago. These temple is situated 22 Kms. away from Perambalur and 8 Km west of Alathur gate in Tiruchi-Chennai National Highway (NH-45). This temple reflect the architecture of the early days.
Valikandapuram Temple: Valikandapuram is a Village in Veppanthattai Taluk in Perambalur District of Tamil Nadu State, India. It is located 11 KM towards North from District head quarters Perambalur. 10 KM from Veppanthattai. 284 KM from State capital Chennai.
Valikandapuram is ths important city in the Chola Kingdom. Valikandapuram links with Ramayana. The King Vali worshipped the god Siva here to attain many powers,Thus the god siva in the temple is known as Valieswarar and godess is known as Valaambigai. The temple was built by Chola before the construction of Tanjore Siva temple populary kown as Periya Kovil.
Sri Ekambareswarar Temple: This is an ancient temple built by Paranthaka Chola. Lord Vinayaka is adored as Varaguna Ganapathi. The temple is famous for its Kubera sculpture showing the Lord of Wealth on His Fish vehicle. This is installed in 12 spots in the temple representing the 12 zodiac signs. When viewed from an upper place, it is said that the idols combined together looks like OHM letter shape. People throng the temple to worship Kubera for wealth.
According to Vedic scholars from Tiruvannamalai, no temple in the country has such Kubera installations.
The rays of Sun fall on Lord Ekambareswara on 19, 20 and 21 of Panguni month –March-April. This is an ancient Shiva Temple. The main tower-Rajagopuram is 100 feet tall visible up to a distance of 10 kilo meters.
Myluthu Falls: Myluthu Falls is located on the foot hills of Pachamalai,Tamilndu , a place of scenic beauty . Approximately 15 k.m awau from Perambalur by road to Thuraiyur.
A dense forest region, best for trekking and other adventurous activities. A natural stream, suited for swimming. There is also a waterfall, high up in the hills called Akaya Gangai. It is perceived to have high medicinal values as it flows across plethora of herbs with medicinal values.
S.Aduthurai Temple: It is in the District of Perambalur on the National Highway adjacent to Tholudur ,on the bank of River Vellaru . It is the holy pilgrim centre by name Su.Aduthurai. The presiding deities of this Temple are Siva and his consort. The Tamil name for the Lord there is ‘Kutram Porutha Eswarar’ or ‘Abaradharatshagar’ which can be literally translated as the’ Lord of Forgiveness’ and the consort Elavar Kuzhali Ammai or the damsel with beautiful and curly tresses. The Lord of Forgiveness Kutram Porutheeswarar will wash away all the sins that cannot be wiped out either by the Navagrahas or the nine planets, and even by one’s Guru.
Kutram Porutheeswarar temple has been built during the Chola period in the 12thCen. And it has been periodically renovated through grants by various rulers ranging from Chola, Chera, Pandya and the Nayakars of Vijaya Nagar. All these grants and donation to the temple are recorded in the epigraphs of the granite structure of the temple.